Households that rent are more cost-burdened than owner-occupied households in the greater Upper Valley region. Renters are more likely to have limited financial cushion, and can be forced by a lack of options to live in substandard housing, or feel pressured to accept living situations or landlord demands that are not in compliance with rental codes and tenant law due to their past history and fear of eviction. Landlords with only a few units often have little financial cushion to absorb one delinquent renter, and also may lack capital for needed improvements, and education on landlord/tenant rules. Both sides may lack good communication and problem-solving skills.
- See the Regional Snapshot for background information on cost-burdened households.
- Tenant’s Rights Overview by New Hampshire Legal Aid
- Landlord and Tenant (Renter) Legal Help by Legal Services Vermont
- Eviction in Vermont: A Closer Look by Vermont Legal Aid
- A Question/Answer Walk Through the Eviction Process by New Hampshire Legal Aid