In Vermont, the Town Health Officer has a role to investigate complaints about unsafe rental housing conditions.  Similar positions exist in New Hampshire, but duties vary by municipality. Vermont and New Hampshire state fire and safety codes also apply to all rental units, but the state lacks a registry of all units and many go uninspected. In addition, local building codes are more prevalent in New Hampshire.  Many towns have also adopted and administer local laws, such as a local rental registry or housing codes.