All STRs need to be in compliance with rental codes, and that first means they have to be known through a registry or permitting system. This could be handled on a municipal level, but since there are often state rental standards and no local code official trained in those standards, as well as no local permitting in some towns, a state registration process makes more sense. There are also state tax implications of owning a STR, since they are covered by room and meals tax.