For certain, generally larger, projects, Vermont has a state land use permitting process known as Act 250 For VT municipalities with permanent zoning and subdivision bylaws, Act 250 permits are needed for commercial or industrial projects on more than 10 acres, construction of 10 or more units of housing or the subdivision of 10 lots or more in a five year period.  Municipalities without zoning and/or subdivision are known as 1-acre towns, which require Act 250 for commercial projects on 1 or more acres, or the creation of six units/lots Local permits are still required, so Act 250 creates a second layer of land use permitting.  It also adds to the costtakes longer to get approvals for projects, and presents a second opportunity for abutters to appeal the project.  Certain priority housing projects in designated centers are exempt from Act 250.