Public messaging can be undertaken at a local or regional scale. Partnering on a regional scale could increase the efficient use of limited resources. These campaigns should highlight local stories, challenges, and solutions. These campaigns should seek to be accessible by producing visually appealing, relatable information that invites residents to participate, rather than be overly prescriptive. These campaigns should also connect residents with activities on the issue to engage with directly, whether that be municipal planning, volunteer activity, or public event.
These campaigns could bolster needed messaging highlighted throughout this toolbox, such as:
- Educate tenants and landlords on rights, codes and support services (B1.1b, B1.2a)
- Educate and encourage needed homes improvement, including on lead paint, mold, and accessibility upgrades and retrofits (B3.3a, B3.3b, C2.3a)
- Better inform the public on emergency housing options (B2.2a)
- Build public support for homes with supportive services (E3.2b)
- Change mental image of housing through visuals and landscape (D3.1a)